
The original Greenville Junction Railroad Depot building was built by the Canadian Pacific Railroad in 1889.
The rounded “witches hat” and ladies waiting room was added sometime between 1901 and 1910.
In 1911, a fire partially destroyed the freight shed portion of the building. It was repaired and extended 30 feet. Charred members of the original frame are still visible from the interior of the freight shed.
Sometime around 1960, a motor car room was added inside the freight shed and was used by the local section crew.
In 1965 the building was abandoned as a CP passenger station although passenger service on the line continued until 1981. (With some VIA Rail Canada passenger services being reinstated temporarily in the late 80's and early 90's). Parts of the building continued to be used for storage by the railroad until sometime in the 1990's.
In 2003, the Montreal, Maine, and Atlantic Railroad took over operations of the rail line through Greenville and acquired the property.
In 2008, Maine Preservation listed the Depot in its annual roster of "the most endangered historic places" in the state.
A group of concerned citizens began an organization in 2010 called the "Greenville Junction Depot Friends" for the purpose of raising funds to save the building from further deterioration, and to rehabilitate the building for future use as a community center.
Greenville Junction Depot Friends obtained IRS 501(c) 3 status early in 2011 and began to search for a new property to move the building to.
In 2011, Gartley & Dorsky Engineering & Surveying, and 2A Architects examined the entirety of the building structure and deemed it sound. A full report was delivered to the board of directors outlining proposed stages for rehabilitation of the structure. A full report was delivered to the friends' board of directors outlining proposed stages for rehabilitation of the structure.
In 2013 the horrific Lac-Mégantic disaster occurred on the Montreal, Maine, and Atlantic. A new railroad, the Central Maine and Quebec Railway took control of the rail line and the depot property in 2014.
On May 13th, 2015 the Greenville Junction Depot Friends signed a long-term lease of the Depot Building and it’s immediate property from the Central Maine and Quebec Railway. This removed the need to relocate the building, reducing the cost and complexity of the project while allowing the building to maintain it's high level of historic integrity, maintaining it's place on the railroad.
In 2017 the depot was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
In 2019, the Depot came full circle and once again was owned by the Canadian Pacific Railway, with the CMQR lease transfer to the Greenville Junction Depot Friends remaining intact. Canadian Pacific (CP) officially became CPKC (Canadian Pacific Kansas City) on April 14th, 2023.
The Friends have continued raising money through the sale of merchandise and various fundraising campaigns, each focusing on a different part of the building. Several events were also held showcasing the usefulness of the building as community center.
The rehabilitation continued in phases: A temporary roof membrane was installed in 2013. Leveling and underpinning of the station side was completed in 2015. Eave restoration was also completed in 2015. Leveling and Underpinning of freight shed was completed in 2017 -2018. Lot cleaning and leveling was completed in 2018. The new roof and trim were completed in 2019. Exterior Work began in 2016 and was completed in 2023. The freight shed interior, bathrooms, and kitchen were completed in 2022. The Bodfish Car House and Pocket Museum was also added in 2022. New decks and universal access ramps were added in 2023. The station masters office restoration was completed in 2025. The ladies and mens waiting rooms are still being worked-on in 2026 and when complete will finish the rehabilitation project that began in 2011.
For it's 135th anniversary in 2024, the Depot was the host location for some major Greenville events including a lunar eclipse totality party and the Greenville High School prom.
In 2025 the Depot was used for the first time as a stop for the CPKC Holiday Train. This marked the first scheduled train stop at the depot in nearly 50 years. The event was a huge success and highlighted the value of the Depot to the railroad and the community itself.
With Rehabilitation nearing completion, the Depot is ready to rent for events in 2026.
Maine Historic Preservation Commission Listing for the Depot
Download the Depot's National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form
Secretary of the Interior Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties
All donations to “Save the Depot” are fully tax deductible as a charitable donation. Donations may be sent to P.O. Box 16, Greenville, Maine 04441. A receipt will be sent to you by return mail for your IRS tax purposes.

The Moosehead Lake Region was once home to several railroads with the Bangor and Aroostook and the Canadian Pacific at Greenville Junction and the Maine Central Somerset Division reaching the lakeshore at Rockwood. These remote lines crisscrossed the northwoods and were operated by a special group of railroaders. While small in numbe, the impact these individuals had on the region and its heritage was mighty. The Greenville Junction Depot stands in honor of this heritage.

The Canadian Pacific Depot in Greenville Junction, Maine is a rare example of a Canadian Pacific "Witches Hat" style of building in the United States. Built in 1889, it is an original first-generation railroad depot. Built without a true foundation, it is typical of many wilderness depots built along the International of Maine route and one of the few to survive intact into the modern era.

With the original mission of saving the building accomplished and rehabilitation complete, the mission of the Greenville Junction Depot Friends shifts to maintenance and preservation of the building as a community center. The incredible success of the first CPKC Holiday Train stop at the depot in 2025 highlights the building's usefulness as a community hub and an important piece of the fabric of Northern Maine heritage.
Town of Greenville, Maine: http://www.greenvilleme.com/default.aspx
Moosehead Historical Society: http://mooseheadhistory.org/
Central Maine and Quebec Railway: http://www.cmqrailway.com/
Canadian Pacific Railway: http://www.cpr.ca/en/Pages/Default.aspx
Maine Historical Society: http://www.mainehistory.org/
Maine Historic Preservation Commision: http://www.maine.gov/mhpc/
Maine Preservation: http://mainepreservation.com/
Photos.NeRail.org: http://photos.nerail.org/
Inter. Railway of Maine Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Railway_of_Maine
NY Times Article on Building the CP in Maine: http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive
Save the Northfield Depot: http://www.northfielddepot.org/
Railpictures.net International of Maine Photos: http://www.railpictures.net
Omer Lavallées Book on the International of Maine: http://www.amazon.com/
Maine’s French Communities Site: http://www.francomaine.org
Josse Vachon, Singer: www.joseevachon.com
New England Steam Corporation: http://www.newenglandsteam.orgpeople
Moosehead Lake Chamber of Commerce
Maine Preservation announces Friends of the Greenville Depot as 1772 Foundation historic preservation grant recipient – Piscataquis Observer May 2021
STB approves CP acquisition of Central Maine & Quebec rail line– Progressive Railroading May 2020
Retired Depot on Its Way to Revitalization – WABI TV5 August 2016
Saved! Three of Maines Historic Places – Maine Preservation Newsletter: Spring 2015
Portrait of Place ~ Greenville, Me– Maine Home Design: September 2014
Owner puts $10M into revival of troubled Maine Rail Line– Portland Herald: September 2014
Group Working to Preserve Maine Depot– Trains Magazine Newswire: March 2014
All Invited for a Day of Prizes and Surprizes at the Depot- Moosehead Matters: July 30th, 2013
Greenville Junction Depot Recieves Grant From Plum Creek– Bangor Daily News: November 6th, 2012
Railroad Workers Reconnect at Greenville Junction– Bangor Daily News: August 22nd, 2012
Depot Friends get Ready for Celebration on August 18th– Bangor Daily News: August 6th, 2012
Tarps for the Depot Roof- Friends of the Greenville Depot: January 1st, 2012
Friends of the Depot Plan Holiday Events – Moosehead Messenger: November 23rd, 2011
Greenville Junction Depot Celebration a Big Hit – Moosehead Messenger: August 23rd, 2011
Former Railroad Workers Share History at Greenville Jct. Depot Event – Bangor Daily News: August 21st, 2011
Gathering to Learn about the Greenville Junction Depot Slated- Moosehead Messenger: July 13th, 2011
Effort Underway to Save the Greenville Junction Depot – Bangor Daily News: July 12th, 2011
Artwork Exibited at “Ride the Icon” Save the Depot and Moosehead Historical Society Event –Greenville School District: Nov, 2010
Group begins effort to save and relocate Greenville Jct. Depot- Moosehead Messenger: July 7th, 2010
2008 Maines Most Endangered Historic Resources– Maine Preservation: 2008
President: Jane Hall
Secretary: Cheri Goodspeed
Treasurer: Melody Erickson
Board Members: Toby Baird, Ron Hall, Sandra Ryder, Robert Thomas, Allan Tubbs,
Michelle Weirich, Amy Bishop
We use cookies to analyze website traffic and optimize your website experience. By accepting our use of cookies, your data will be aggregated with all other user data.